Every Netflix Original show and movie has been removed from Netflix
In recent years, Netflix has lost a lot of licensed content but many will be surprised to know that some of the removals from Netflix have been Netflix Original titles. Here’s the full list of every Netflix Original removed since 2017.
To get to the bottom of why Netflix releases original titles, they generally fall into a few categories.
- Most leave because they are not owned by Netflix. Instead, they are distributed internationally exclusively by Netflix for a limited time.
- Second, it can be a temporary or permanent licensing issue. For example, Beat the bug Where there is a short period left due to licensing issues Slasher The series was moved for a time when the owner went bankrupt.
- Third, some titles are time-specific. This includes for example the New Year countdown.
- We also got a new case where original content owners also decided to pull their shows (often breaking original contracts and therefore costing a lot of money). Disney is notably doing this with their Marvel series.
- Finally, you may see Netflix Originals removed from some regions due to laws or takedown requests. We’ll cover them at the end.
Netflix Originals have been removed from Netflix for licensing reasons
Now let’s take you to the list of removed Netflix Originals (we might have missed some but we will update it with time). This list is ordered to be removed.
- Nick Offerman: American ham – Removed December 2017
- TShe’s Killing (Seasons 1-4) – Removed August 2018 – Despite reviving the series, Fox decided to keep the show’s first three seasons on Hulu.
- The River (Season 1) – Removed October 2019 – BBC is the only international distributor for the series.
- Estocolmo (Season 1) – Moved November 2019 – Argentinian series that Netflix carries internationally.
- Happy Valley (Seasons 1-2) – Removed March 2020 – Another BBC series Netflix has only distributed internationally for a limited time.
- Chewing Gum (Seasons 1–2) – Removed April 2020 – Netflix only acted as an international distributor and lost the rights after a certain period.
- Slasher (Seasons 1-3) – Removed April 2020 – Kew Media Group removed due to bankruptcy. Finally came back, but future seasons are going to be shaky.
- The Case (Season 1) – Moved May 2020 – Chilean series carried by Netflix internationally.
- marijuana – French TV series – June 2020 removed
- Hotel Beau Sejour – Removed June 2020
- NSU German History X (Limited Series) – July 2020 removed
- Russell Peters: Notorious – Removed October 2020
- Russell Peters vs. the World – Removed October 2020
- Nobel – Norwegian – November 2020 Removed
- Four seasons in Havana – December 2020 removed
- merly – Catalan – December 2020 Removed
- Pacific Heat (Season 1) – December 2020 removed
- Blockbuster – French – January 2021 Removed
- Knights of Sidonia – Japanese – Removed Jan 2021 – Removed multiple times in the past
- 4th Company (2016) – Removed April 2021
- little gold – May 2021 removed
- Lego Friends: The Power of Friendship (2016) – Removed June 2021
- LEGO: Friends: Happy Birthday to you! (2017) – Removed June 2021
- Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist – Moved to June 2021 after debuting in April 2021
- Cook on high – Removed June 2021
- Heavy rescue: 401 – Removed June 2021
- Magi: The Adventures of Sinbad – July 2021 removed
- The Last Hangover – Removed September 2021
- The First Temptation of Christ – Removed September 2021
- The Frozen Dead – Removed October 2021
- Chelsea Peretti: One of the Greats – Removed September 2021
- The holiday movie that made us – Removed October 2021 (merged in Movies We Made)
- the crew – November 2021 removed
- Cuba Liber Story – December 2021 removed
- Lost and Found Music Studio – December 2021 removed
- pause – December 2021 removed
- home made – December 2021 removed
- revenge – January 2022 removed
- tenant – Moved February 2022
- Morocco: Times of War Love – Moved February 2022
- The Frankenstein Chronicles – Moved February 2022
- 21 Lightning – Moved March 2022
We’re told this list will grow exponentially over time because Netflix doesn’t necessarily hold distribution rights for many of the titles in its library.
Netflix has removed original shows part way through their run
There have been two major cases of shows being removed from Netflix internationally. In both cases, that’s because they were renewed away from Netflix.
- expansion – Netflix owns all international rights to Syfy seasons expansion Before Amazon Prime Video revived the show and became a new home.
- Star Trek: Discovery – Netflix holds the exclusive international rights to each season up to 4 seasons where ViacomCBS buys the rights to put it on Paramount+ when it finally lands worldwide.
Netflix Originals removed due to official takedown
The most famous example of Netflix being ordered to remove content The Patriot Act With Hasan Minhaj. An episode critical of the country’s governance was ordered Returns in January 2019.
The following was the title Netflix moved from Singapore And also removed from several other regions:
- The Last Hangover (finally moved globally)
- The Temptation of Christ (eventually moved worldwide)
- Cook on high
This is the current list. We will continue to expand as other Netflix Originals depart the service.
[original_title and more.